Friday, October 18, 2013

Song of the Week: 10/18/13

In keeping with the "border of twilight" theme and in anticipation of another post on the theme this weekend, I give you...

Thousand Foot Krutch/"Hurt"/The Art of Breaking



This is one of those songs that just came out of the blue.  Thousand Foot Krutch, though somewhat popular, was never (in my opinion at least) one of the greatest bands in the world; although they had some pretty good songs their overall career never exactly stood out.  Except, of course, from this absolute gem hidden right in the middle of The Art of Breaking (which is probably their best album as well).  I don't think anyone saw this one coming (maybe not even the band themselves) and I was certainly surprised (in a good way) when this Thousand Foot Krutch song that my brother kept insisting I had to hear became one of my favorite songs of all time.

Everything about the song is perfect.  The opening two-chord progression is simple but breathtakingly intense; the slightly dissonant minor 9th chord is perfect.  The contrast between the tense build-up of the verses and the mournful (but strangely major-key) piano-vocal stylings of the chorus is one of the best things about the song.  They shouldn't work together, but somehow they do.  Trevor McNevan covers the entire spectrum of his vocal range, reaching up into his falsetto for the high notes before going full-throttle in the final chorus (which has some tasteful and skillful lead guitar parts to boot).  The lyrics speak for themselves.

My brother is going to be thrilled that I posted this (even though he is still probably slightly annoyed that this is the only TFK song that I ever care to listen to).  Hope y'all enjoy it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment