Friday, January 3, 2014

Song of the Week

Yes, it's technically Saturday morning.  But for all intents and purposes, it's Friday night.  So without further ado, here is the song of the week:


Tame Impala is a band I'm just starting to get into, a contemporary indie/alternative/retro/psych rock band heavily influenced by the Beatles but with a distinctive sound of their own.  I was introduced to Tame Impala by my band's other guitar player, who suggested "Elephant" as a song we could attempt to cover.  I was blown away on the first listen.  The song is not complicated by any means, but it is skillfully crafted, rhythmically driven on the verses and melodically atmospheric in the interlude, combining bluesy riffing and almost drone-style singing with theme-based melodic guitar and synthesizer playing in a way that almost doesn't seem to fit, but somehow does anyway.  The lyrics are...well, the lyrics kind of speak for themselves in a way that is lucid but simultaneously enigmatic.  You have to listen to really know what I mean.  And, should I mention, "Elephant" is a prime example of a song that makes 4/4 meter sound really weird.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment